Hastings, East Sussex
11 months ago
Our client is seeking an experienced Senior Recovery Officer to join them on a contract basis in Hastings.
£15.00p/h PAYE / £19.50p/h Ltd
You will have extensive experience of undertaking debt recovery, council tax and non domestic rates legislation and thorough knowledge of court procedures.
Knowledge of Northgate software desirable.
Purpose of the job:
Undertake the recovery of unpaid council tax and non-domestic rates (NDR/business rates) in accordance with government legislation and council procedures, overseeing Recovery Officers to ensure management set collection targets are met.
Represent the council at the magistrates' court for application of summonses, liability orders and committal proceedings.
- Allocate work to Recovery Officers ensuring regular reports and actions are completed within the required timescales as per guidelines, in order to maximise the collection of council tax and business rates.
- Monitor reports regularly where recovery action has been taken to ensure that arrangements are being adhered to, taking the appropriate action when the debtor defaults, as per procedures/guidelines.
- Prepare monthly court lists for summonses to be issued, submitting the list and information to the Court for signature.
- Represent the council in the magistrates' court to obtain liability orders, answering queries and assessing cases for adjournment or withdrawal.
- Prepare cases and applications for charging orders in respect of habitual non payers, liaising with the Enforcement Agency and Legal as necessary.
- Correspond and negotiate with debtors, solicitors and other agents/bodies, making satisfactory payment arrangements in line with council guidelines.
- Attend quarterly meetings with the Revenues Operational & Customer Service Manager and a representative from the Enforcement Agency, to review performance against agreed targets, and to agree changes to work procedures if required.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with the Contact Centre, providing advice and training to staff as required.
- Participate in an annual performance appraisal based on agreed objectives.
- Ensure that all duties and services provided are in accordance with the company Equalities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- To comply with individual responsibilities, in accordance with work role for health and safety in the workplace.
- Ensure that all duties and services provided are in accordance with the Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection policies and procedures.
- Undertake such other duties and tasks appropriate to the grade and character of work such as changes in information systems and new technology as may reasonably be required. Therefore, the above list of key result areas in this job description should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive.