£20748.00 - £21885.00 per annum
4 months ago
1st Step Solutions have a requirement for an experienced Gardener, based in Essex.
* To undertake a broad range of grounds maintenance work and mechanised operations in public parks, playing fields, housing areas and open spaces, safely, efficiently and with courtesy.
* To drive and be responsible for Ride on Mowers and fulfil the role of Watchperson.
* Reporting to the Gardening Supervisor.
* Maintain established shrubs by pruning or cutting back to reduce size, promote flowering, and regenerate growth.
* Cut formal and informal hedges safely using appropriate hand tools or powered hand tools where necessary to maximise efficiency.
* Control weeds and grass in shrub areas, hedge bases or obstructions using chemicals as a licenced operator.
* Control weeds in hard surfaces using chemicals as a licensed PA1 and PA6 operator.
* Cut grass, be aware of rare wild flowers occurring in turf and take appropriate action.
* Form and maintain edges to grass areas. Strim around obstacles to leave tidy appearance of grass.
* Take appropriate Health and Safety action during adverse weather conditions and machinery breakdown.
* Provide absence or emergencies cover for the Leading Gardener or other grounds staff.
* Clear leaves, litter and rubbish from landscaped areas.
* Carry out clearance works on gardens, allotment plots, shrub beds.
* Help prepare ground for planting by hand. Use rotavators or other machinery as required.
* Assist with the cultural maintenance of grass on amenity or sports areas using hand tools or pedestrian operated machinery. Tasks to include scarification, slitting, spiking, topdressing, levelling, sanding, fertilising, over seeding, draining, rolling and watering.
* Be aware of correct timing, weather and ground conditions for seeding.
* Sow by hand or mechanical distributor and carry out appropriate aftercare to lead to the successful establishment of a grass sward.
* Assist with the interpretation of specifications, the maintenance, restoration and layout of specialist horticultural areas such as rose gardens and war memorials.
* Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of bulbs, annuals, perennials, bedding and floral displays, hanging baskets and all other ornamental planting.
* Plant shrubs, hedging and trees utilising a range of techniques appropriate to the site conditions, size and presentation of plant material.
* Be aware of legal requirements and safety regulations in respect of the vehicle or item of plant.
* Comply with the council's fault and accident reporting procedures.
* Carry out drivers' safety and mechanical checks before the vehicle is taken on the road.
* Maintain vehicle logbook where applicable.
* Take responsibility for vehicle, item of plant or equipment and to be accountable for avoidable damage and wear. Be responsible for the security of the machine or equipment whilst at work. Carry out daily and weekly maintenance. Change blades and belts as necessary.
* Drive the vehicle safely and with consideration to others.
* Be a Watchperson for tractor/flail operations including hedge cutting and movement in public areas such as footpaths/roads ensuring the safety of the public.
* Carry out communication by hand signals and radio when vision is restricted.
* Operate machine to obtain economic fuel use whilst maintaining maximum efficiency and work output.
* Understand the relevant risk assessment and method statement. Carry out pre-start check before commencing work. Operator to record check on pre-start risk assessment form.
* Be aware and maintain general safe and healthy working practices including those set out in the risk assessments in relation to the task being carried out. Respond and take appropriate action in emergencies.
* Carry out works adjacent to roads, cycle tracks and footpaths using signs, layouts and methods of work as detailed in "Safety at Street works and Roadworks".
* Report hazards to line management and safety representatives and record accidents promptly and accurately.
Experience and Qualifications:
* Basic knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety.
* Practical gardening experience.
* Literacy and numeracy skills.
* Planting and pruning techniques.
* Able to use powered hand tools and machinery.
* Ability and confidence to use own initiative.
* Good verbal communication skills.
* Willingness to work as part of a team.
* Plant, equipment and vehicle when in use at work.
* Valid full driving licence.
* Experience of using a ride on mower.
* Hold a Lantra Ride-on Mower qualification.
* Plant identification.
* PA1 & PA6 herbicides qualification.
* Knowledge of horticultural operations.