Up to £80000.00 per annum
3 months ago
1st Step Solutions are seeking a qualified Head of HSE for a permanent position based in London with home working flexibility. Reporting directly to the Group Managing Director and Operations Director.
* To assist the company Directors and take responsibility for all matters relating to HSE planning, management and reporting across the business.
* Devise and implement the HSE strategy for the company.
* Provide compliance advice and support to all employees and project teams.
* To implement new health and safety management systems, meeting ISO 45001 and other current standards and legislation.
* To improve safety performance through successfully designing, delivering and maintaining a health and safety change programme to embed and drive a positive safety culture across the organisation as well as ensuring the timely delivery of associated underpinning health and safety management action plans and operational programmes.
* To effectively report on HSE metrics to allow the business to make informed decisions.
* Support any company initiatives that upholds and works towards finding new, innovative, and economically reductive ways to stay green.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manage the periodic review and update Health, Safety and Environmental policies, procedures, standards, and functions. Assist in ensuring that compliance with all relevant legislation and company standards are met.
* Structure the Health, Safety and Environmental processes to adhere to the Management Systems 15 principles.
* Manage, review and approve the Health, Safety and Environmental section of the Emico IMS system.
* Encourage a culture of problem solving and getting to root cause through experimentation in the workplace by means of Plan Do Check Act.
* Develop and champion a behavioural Health, Safety & Environmental programme - "ZeroHarm".
* Support any company Sustainability road map to achieve the targets as agreed. Support the delivery of the strategy, measure and report performance.
* Actively encourage and drive the "Close Call, Good Call" system across all sites.
* Make presentations and lead in-house training with managers and employees.
* Agree Health and Safety statistics and KPIs and continuously monitor and report internally in the business and externally as required such as Tender questionnaires and submissions.
* Carry out regular site visits to advise on and check Health, Safety and Environmental conformity with standards.
* Recruit and Manage resources required to grow and develop the HSE department including HSE Advisors.
* Maintain a regime of monitoring, inspection and audit of all projects and locations and conduct periodic internal reviews / audits to ensure that HSE compliance procedures are followed and monitor compliance systems to ensure their effectiveness.
* Investigate and compile reports for incidents, accidents, complaints and cases of ill health.
* Liaise with relevant authorities such as HSE/ORR as required and ensure reporting of all Health and Safety requirements for the business such as RIDDOR.
* Establish and maintain the reputation of the Health and Safety department amongst all staff and respective clients.
* Engage in open communication to build confidence and trust in the Health & Safety department across the business.
* Undertake / record risk assessments and site inspections and consider how risks could be reduced.
* Ensure that equipment is installed correctly / safely by a competent person and periodically inspected in line with regulations and company standards.
* Identify potential hazards and determine ways to reduce risks.
* Assist in the creation of safe operational practices where required and review safe systems of work, method statements and risk assessments produced by project teams.
* Write reports, bulletins and newsletters for all employees.
* Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a strong working knowledge of all Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and any technologies that affect operations and undertakings.
* Maintain occupational HSE systems and processes in conjunction with HSE and Operations team.
* Provide support to Estimating & Business Development on HSE information for tenders. Write a synopsis of what the Company does and provide submission answers to Tender Questions.
* Build the capability of the organisation through coaching and training of leaders and their teams.
* Maintain COSHH assessment data availability for users of the IMS system.
* Mentor, coach and develop any Health & Safety staff.
* Support the H&S team to ensure they are high performing and following a strong Health & Safety culture.
* Support performance of H&S staff to develop skills and knowledge
* Good understanding of the following points:
o Compliance issues across our industry sector and client specific requirements.
o Health, Safety, Quality and Environment best practice relevant to our industry sector (particular focus on Environment).
o Third party audit and registration schemes.
o Detailed knowledge of CDM - Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 and application of in a Contractor / Sub-contractor environment.
o Previous experience of Principal Contractor roles would be advantageous.
o Previous experience of having maintained a Network Rail "Principal Contractors License" (PCL) would be advantageous.
* A relevant higher-level education or suitable professional qualification. (IOSH/NEBOSH)
* Quality or HSE qualification to professional level.
* Trades person with extensive experience, preferably with a qualification of a recognise trade.
* An understanding of ISO 45001.
* Strategic thinker with the ability to promote effective HSE across projects.
* Experience of developing and implementation a HSE Management System would be advantageous.
* Environmental system knowledge.
* Infrastructure / Rail / Construction knowledge.