South Yorkshire, England
12 days ago
Our client is a growing M&E Contractor based in South Yorkshire with project coverage across Yorkshire and the Midlands.
They are looking to appoint a Head of M&E to support all operational and commercial functions as the business grows. The position will be working closely with Company Directors, reporting directly to the Managing Director.
The role Head of Mechanical & Electrical:
* To lead multi-disciplined Senior Managers in the delivery of all multi-disciplined projects within the business.
* Evaluate how the business operates and manage the implementation of strategies to deliver the businesses vision and objectives.
* Working closely with the Managing Director and other department heads to ensure everything runs smoothly and in accordance with company policies.
* Ensure excellence in all areas of delivery, financial reporting, profit generation and the development of Senior Managers, Managers and staff, in addition, to ensure fit for purpose working environment and systems are developed and maintained.
* Demonstrate clear knowledge of laws, regulations, and guidelines of the industry and HSQE to ensure legal compliance.
* Demonstrate good knowledge of Commercial and Contractual matters.
* Aim to strengthen client relationships and ensure the successful continuance of business operations.
* The ability to challenge the status quo and/or the Board of Directors as well as being able to present justifiable business cases at all levels in the organisation.
* Implement the company's vision and objectives.
* Responsible for all Operational and Commercial activities of the Mechanical & Electrical Department, ensuring all activities undertaken meet with and integrate with the organisational requirements for the management of SHEQ and all legal and general duties of care.
* Develop a team strategy based on achieving the Mechanical & Electrical Departments agreed Business Plan and objectives.
* Develop and implement strategic plans to increase efficiency/profit and to prevent any losses within the Mechanical & Electrical Department.
* Production of a monthly management report to include Sales, WIP, CTC'S, invoicing and forecasting all in conjunction with the Head of Commercial and the Managing Director.
* Attend quarterly Mechanical & Electrical Department review meetings with the Head of Commercial and the Managing Director.
* Responsible for maintaining a positive cash position within the Mechanical & Electrical Department.
* Responsible for developing/overseeing business development and pre-install and delivery activities for the Mechanical & Electrical Department.
* Responsible for maintaining and improving client relationships by engaging at high level with the various clients that we work for to demonstrate a value-added approach and to be fully aware of potential future workload and any current project issues.
* Assist with the production of Tender Bids, ensuring that the Project Delivery matters are fully appreciated by the Estimating Team and that the Bid is issued complete with the required technical and project delivery information to support the cost estimate.
* Responsible for all contractual, Legal and Insurance Claim matters on projects ensuring that all contracts both upstream to Clients and downstream to the supply chain have been vetted and approved by the Head of Commercial and the Managing Director prior to commencement on site.
* The Head of the Mechanical & Electrical Department must ensure all Contracts, Terms & Conditions and design warranties have been past to the Head of Commercial for review and execution.
* Responsible for meeting and exceeding the client's expectations by always striving for continuous improvement in relation to Safety, Health and Environment, Product Quality, Project Delivery (programme), Project Cost (profit) and Client Relationships.
* Responsible for ensuring that all final accounts are submitted within the agreed time and settled within the contract recommendations and not exceeding two months of the successful completion of the project.
* Ensure that all snagging is completed in a timely manner, fully complete within the 12-month defects period and final retention of monies being released from client at the end of the liability period.
* Engage with and manage external consultants as required to ensure successful delivery of design for the scheme and be prepared to take them to task should they deviate from the client's and our requirements potentially creating further costs on the project.
* Be fully aware of all technical and legislative matters and developments affecting and influencing the delivery of all projects.
* Responsible and accountable for all team salaries, expenses, mileage claims, Hotels, IT, holiday approvals etc.
* Manages the day-to-day operational aspects of the business.
* Minimise exposure to risk across the business.
* Manage scope and mitigate risks across the business.
* Ensure accurate invoicing, and monitoring receivables for all projects under his/her direction.
* Set expectations upward regarding revenue and profitability projections.
* Effectively communicate relevant project/practice information to superiors and peers.
* Challenge others to develop as leaders while clarifying roles and responsibilities.
* Pursue excellence in all aspects of business.
* Possess the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change.
* Build expert knowledge in our industry and convey knowledge to others.
People Management Responsibilities:
* Must ensure that the Mechanical & Electrical Department has the right staff with the right skills to meet the team's business plan and budget.
* Develop succession planning within the team.
* Set SMART Objectives for all team members, all based on the requirements of the overall Business Plan.
* Monitor measure and report on team training and development plans and achievements within agreed formats and timescales. Take necessary action to communicate/advise and assist team members according to performance levels. Regular appraisals of your team members are to be undertaken so that good performance can be measured/rewarded and under performance can be assessed and an appropriate plan of action can be developed.
* Manage and develop your Team, hold formal and regular monthly 'open forums' with all team members to discuss all aspects of the team's performance against agreed targets.
* Develop relevant personnel skills and capability through planning and attendance of training courses.
* Ensure that all staff operate in a professional manner in respect of appearance and etiquette, in their interaction with all other members of staff, clients and the general public.
* Encourage all staff to embrace new ways of working, take ownership and be passionate about their work.
* Responsible for building team spirit by being open, approachable, and consistent with decision making.
* Plan and manage team internal communications and be fully aware of the Business direction, mission aims and objectives.
* Plan and co-ordinate team resource allocations against team workload and always liaise with the Company Managing Director in relation to resource issues such as poor performance, increased requirements, project team allocation etc.
* Contribute to executive policy and strategy and offer support to other Company Departments and the Company Directors.
* Have an integral approach to departments such as Estimating, Administration, IT, Accounts, Safety, Health and Environmental, Supply Chain and Quality Assurance to help the business as a whole deliver projects in a consistent and seamless fashion.
* Assist the company to develop a mature and functional supply chain that respects our ethos and helps us to deliver projects in accordance with the Cost, Quality, Time, and H&S parameters that we set.
* Be open and honest with other Department Heads and the Company Directors about opportunities particularly if they fall outside the remit of your department.
* Ensure that the Mechanical & Electrical Department is made aware of what is happening within the whole company.
* Work on initiatives that improve the company as a whole.
* Demonstrate the non-adversarial ethos promoted by the company in all aspects of your role.
Please note the duties outlined in this job description will change over time. All employees must be prepared to undertake reasonable duties other than those for which they have been specifically employed.