£60000.00 - £65000.00 per annum + travel allowance
28 days ago
1st Step Solutions are seeking to recruit a qualified Senior Mechanical Engineer on a Data Centre project in Slough on a permanent basis.
The ideal candidate will work directly alongside and reporting to the Senior PM to manage the mechanical package of the project. The project is 4 months pre construction and 12 months install. Background knowledge of pre-fab is key. Data Centre experience is also key. A team of intermediate engineers on the project currently so we are looking for a Senior Lead to manage and scope the day to day activities and provide support, both in management and technical skills and manage the project programme and deliverables
* Effectively and professionally oversee and control the day to day management of projects including sub-contract packages to make a profit by delivering within budget and programme to exceed the satisfaction of the client, project manager and associated directors.
* To manage the overview of the mechanical design of the system, working closely with the consultant as a supporting / development role to ensure a robust, buildable design within the budget costs.
* Attend & host team meetings.
* Lead and issue meeting notes for technical and progress workshop meetings.
* Reviewing tender information including design drawings, specifications and equipment schedules.
* Delivering the design / working drawings necessary to deliver the project and ensure you capture any additional costs and programme delays caused by external influences on their production.
* Production and technical compliance checking of technical submissions against specifications and ER documents.
* Production of package scoping documents.
* Reviewing and compliance checking our working drawings against specifications and ER documents.
* Being able to develop a commissioning strategy for the installation.
* Having the ability and being comfortable to take on large and complex packages of work.
* Working with a level of autonomy from the Project Manager.
* Assisting the Project Manager with their duties and acting as a second in command on the project.
* Management and delivery of small / non-complex projects.
* Management of procurement. Value engineering (where asked for) and better buying against the tender allowances.
* Programming of the works and sub-contract packages.
* Production and management of programmes.
* Project reporting to PM.
* Manage installation and commissioning activities of your assigned packages.
* Management of handover documentation (record drawings / test and commission).
* Management of multiple sub-contractors
* Ensure all variation costs are advised to the PM and QS.
* Cost control. Liaising with project surveyor to assist the PM with the monthly PFR report.
* Quality control.
* Risk control (programme and commercial).
Knowledge & Experience:
* Experience as a Project Engineer.
* Supervision of site based operatives (sub-contract and directly employed labour).
* Team player.
* Knowledge of current construction practices and safety on site.
* Manage the sub-contractor account variations with the project QS.
* Full control and supervision of sub-contractors.
* Attendance at client and contractor meetings.
* Ensuring completion deadlines are achieved.
* Ensuring financial targets are achieved.
* Interviewing sub-contractors and assessing their suitability.
* Implementing QC procedures including thorough document control and sign off procedures.
* Utilising photographic evidence attached to the above documents.
* Have a good understanding of JCT and NEC contracts.
* Commercially astute.
* Have an excellent knowledge of the engineering fundamentals of their specialist discipline.
* Have a good understanding of the engineering fundamentals of the other specialist disciplines involved in building services.
* The role will have an element of client facing with the professional team and client communication skills are important.
* Good negotiator.
* Customer focused.
* Problem solver.
* Has communication skills at all levels.
* Team player.
* Able to resolve disputes.
* Pro-active attitude.
* The ability to delegate work to sub-team.
* Able to evaluate a tender.
* Ability to prioritise.
* Ability to write a package scope of works.
* Ability to evaluate and make decisions.
* Understands mechanical design principles.
* Good negotiator.
* Good understanding of contract law.
* Cost control.
* Good time management.
* GCSE or equivalent in English Language and Mathematics
* ONC/HNC in Mechanical Engineering
* 4 years Trainee Engineer experience
* CSCS card
* Proficient user of Microsoft Office
* Use ASTA for programming