Stretford, Greater Manchester
£45000.00 - £50000.00 per annum
7 months ago
1st Step Solutions are currently working with a National Contractor who are looking to recruit a Senior Mechanical Services Design Engineer to be based in Manchester.
Our client specialise in the design and construction of sophisticated environmental facilities; providing a complete turnkey package to the high technology industries, particularly Food & Beverage, Pharmaceuticals, Fine Chemicals, Bio Technology, Electronics and Nuclear industries.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will report into the Design Manager to provide design activities to various food & Beverage production factory projects, research facilities and cleanroom buildings. You will provide full project lifecycle costing and design duties from estimating a solution for a client concept or problem, to a designed and costed proposal, then developing the design to enable successful construction and handover within agreed budgets.
Aims & Objectives:
* You will primarily be involved in the review and evaluation of the required building services systems to various facilities whether new build or refurbishments.
* You could receive initial concepts and briefs or you could be interpreting a written package of works and developing it into a detailed and coordinated work package.
* There will be governance and employers requirements which will differ between the various markets and customers that you will need to understand and apply in your designs.
* To work with the operations team to assist with estimating, programming and reporting.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
* Reporting to the Design Manager you will have responsibility for the design aspects on the individual projects you are assigned to, these can be split into specific areas:
Tender stage design and estimation
* Preparation of RFIs to ensure clients' requirements are achieved and recorded.
* Complying with all latest building regulations, statutory authority legislation and client specifications.
* Understand the Quality System, implement and promote.
* Correctly interpret drawings and documents for design purposes.
* Assess buildability of the installation and provide proactive solutions where required, recording residual risks.
* Lead the production of initial Feasibility Studies and Stage 2 concept designs.
* Lead the preparation of Performance and Detailed Specifications and design packages.
* To maintain a close working relationship with Commercial, Engineering and Operations teams, ensuring cohesion in any new business venture.
* Prepare line service drawings / sketches for pricing and client presentations.
* Estimate materials, plant and labour to provide a tender returns.
* Liaising with clients to meet their design brief and build relationships.
* Prepare energy reports and life cycle costs.
Post tender project design and co-ordination
* Prepare in with collaboration with the design the team a risk and opportunities register.
* To issue final construction stage packages with the relevant document issue sheet to clients.
* Attendance to coordination meetings at the client's site or the delegation of such duties to the project lead CAD technician.
* Report to design manager on production progress and deliverables on a weekly basis using drawing production schedules as a tool.
* Liaising will all disciplines to ensure works are accurately coordinated.
* Inspection of onsite installations.
* Have contract design and estimating experience within the Construction industry and food & Beverage production facilities.
* Track record of obtaining best value costings from multiple vendors.
* Experience in building services drawing production.
* Demonstrable experience in contributing to design review meetings and formalising minutes.
* Experience in presenting proposals to clients.
* Experience in handling material and labour estimating.
* Be able to produce bid documents.
* Conduct presentation of estimates in clear format following the clients preferred tender return format
* Be able to design traditional industrial systems; steam & hot water generation and distribution, compressed air, HVAC, chilled water.
* Be familiar with phsychrometric processes, facility heat gains and losses calculations and process loads with humidity control.
* To interpret client tender documents and create tender return packages
* Create design drawings, calculations, schedules and RIBA stage design packages
* Client liaisons to make design reviews and advise on solutions
* Conducting site surveys to determine missing information from a tender package
* Produce concept and feasibility studies to feed into a cost plan
* You will have a responsibility for attendance at client design / project meetings and therefore providing feedback from these meetings etc. to all other staff, liaison and coordination with all other contractors and site based project teams.
* To support the Operations team with the necessary drawings and technical information in order for them to progress site activities on time and to the required quality.
* To maintain a good knowledge of the industry, emerging markets and business opportunities to ensure effective promotion and local exposure
* You will have an excellent knowledge of current legislation, requirements and best practice. You will be responsible for the quality and standard for your complete design from concept to handover stage.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
* Your building services design duties will include but not be limited to the following:-
HVAC and Psychrometric Relationships when applied to environmental control
Public Health, WFI, RO, DI systems
Steam and Condensate, LPHW, HPHW
Chilled Water and the refrigeration cooling cycle
* Engineering qualification to HNC level as a minimum.
* Conversant with a wide range of mechanical and electrical building service systems and equipment.
* Building Management Systems and associated principles.
* IT literate with a technical understanding of IT packages relevant to the role, mainly Autodesk Revit and AutoCAD, Hevacomp.
* You will be highly organised with a keen eye for detail and take a methodical and planned approach.
* Experience of working in a controlled manner with existing systems but able to suggest and implement efficiencies.
* Experience within Food & Beverage.
* Experience with instrumentation and EMS.
* High level of self-motivation, organisational ability and drive to meet deadlines.
* Confidence and commitment to providing a high quality, professional service.
* Experience with process pipework/systems.