Greater London, England
12 months ago
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SALARY NEGOTIABLE, DEPENDENT ON EXPERIENCE
It is essential this Senior Structural Engineer is a Chartered Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers.
Strong technical proficiency in façade structural engineering would be a great benefit. A bachelor's degree in engineering is required and a master's qualification in structural engineering would be viewed very favourably. The candidate should preferably have 10 years' experience in structural engineering including carrying out manual calculations from first principles is vital and skills using beam element analysis and detailed FE analysis software.
Reporting to the Director, you will be responsible for projects within the growing Facade Structural Engineering Group. The role involves the management of structural engineering projects from enquiry stage, through to design and project close-out including liaison with existing clients. You will oversee structural engineering project and will have some responsibility for mentoring and supervision of staff and checking and approving calculations. You will collaborate with the Façade Design Group with structural engineering input into project conceptual designs with input into and review of specifications as necessary.
As a senior engineer within this group you will assist with the growth of structural engineering within the company. You will have regular reviews with the Director and will have the opportunity to discuss the work you are engaged in and contribute to discussions on the direction of the structural group.
The duties will include:
Structural design and analysis
- Structural design of new building facades and cladding systems to British Standards and Eurocodes - structural glass, aluminium, steel, stainless steel, terracotta, stone, pre-cast concrete, composite materials etc.
- Wind load calculations for the building envelope and ancillary cladding structures.
- Preparation of scopes and method statements for testing for new facade materials, oversight of laboratory testing and preparation of testing reports.
- Technical investigation and reporting of building façade defects and collapses.
- Checking of AutoCAD detailed design and shop drawings.
- Attendance at meetings with clients, architects, suppliers and contractors.
- Assist in the arrangement of in-house training CPD sessions with product suppliers.
- Discussions with industry technical associations for expert advice such as the Steel Construction Institute and the Council for Aluminium in Building.
- Help collaboratively with the development of in-house software tools for the design of facade system components.
- Write work scopes and fee proposals for prospective projects.
- Occasional review of contract and warranty documentation and discussions with our insurers to mitigate contractual risks on projects.
- Collaborative assistance with the creation of project control tools to manage the delivery of the scope of our work.
- Management under your director of structural engineering workflow.
- Assist with new clients and attend meetings with a director to discuss services we can offer.
- Be involved with the company directors to help with the direction of our marketing and business planning.