£20748.54 - £21885.43 per annum
3 months ago
1st Step Solutions have a requirement for an experienced Town Park Gardener, based in Essex.
* To undertake a broad range of grounds maintenance work and mechanised operations in Harlow Town Park and Landscape Areas, safely, efficiently and with courtesy. To drive and be responsible for vehicles and equipment including on occasion ride on mowers.
* Reporting to the Town Park Senior Gardener.
* Maintain established shrubs by pruning or cutting back to reduce size, promote flowering, and regenerate growth and to remove damaged, diseased or dead wood.
* Cut formal and informal hedges using shears, secateurs or long arm pruners. Use hedge trimmers or other powered hand tools to maximise efficiency. Remove arisings appropriately.
* Control weeds and grass in shrub areas, hedge bases or obstructions using chemicals as a licenced operator.
* Control weeds in hard surfaces using chemicals as a licensed PA1 and PA6 operator.
* Be familiar with the Town Park. Stand-in as leading Gardener or other grounds staff with similar duties during sickness and holidays or emergencies.
* Take responsibility for vehicle or item of plant and to be accountable for avoidable damage and wear. Be responsible for the security of equipment whilst at work.
* Strim around obstacles to leave tidy appearance of grass.
* Cut grass, be aware of rare wildflowers occurring in turf and take appropriate action.
* Form and maintain edges to grass areas.
* Assist with the interpretation of specifications, the maintenance, restoration and layout of specialist horticultural areas i.e. rose gardens, war memorials.
* Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of bulbs, annuals, perennials, bedding and floral displays, hanging baskets and all other ornamental planting.
* Plant shrubs, hedging and trees utilising a range of techniques appropriate to the site conditions, size and presentation of material.
* Clear leaves, litter and rubbish from landscaped areas.
* Carry out clearance works on shrub beds and other landscape areas.
* Help prepare ground for planting by hand. Use rotavators or other machinery as required.
* Assist with the cultural maintenance of grass on amenity or sports areas using hand tools or pedestrian operated machinery. Tasks to include scarification, slitting, spiking, topdressing, levelling, sanding, fertilising, over seeding, draining, rolling and watering.
* Be aware of correct timing, weather and ground conditions for seeding.
* Sow by hand or mechanical distributor and carry out appropriate aftercare to lead to the successful establishment of a grass sward.
* Be aware of legal requirements and safety regulations in respect of the vehicle or item of plant.
* Comply with the council's fault and accident reporting procedures.
* Carry out drivers' safety and mechanical checks before the vehicle is taken on the road.
* Maintain vehicle logbook where applicable.
* Carry out daily and weekly maintenance.
* Drive the vehicle safely and with consideration to others.
* Operate machine to obtain economic fuel use whilst maintaining maximum efficiency and work output.
* Change blades and belts as necessary.
* Be a 'Watchman' for tractor/flail operations including hedge cutting and movement in public areas including footpaths/roads, making sure that no one is permitted to walk in the operating area of the machine.
* Understand the relevant risk assessment and method statement. Carry out pre-start check before commencing work. Operator to record check on re-start risk assessment form.
* Carry out communication by hand signals and radio when vision is restricted.
* Put out signs, keep work area clear to avoid slip, trips and falls.
* Be aware of the safe working practices set out in the risk assessments and in relation to the task being carried out.
* Maintain healthy and safe working practices, respond and take appropriate action in emergencies.
* Carry out works adjacent to roads, cycle tracks and footpaths using signs, layouts and methods of work as detailed in "Safety at Street works and Roadworks".
* Report hazards to line management and safety representatives.
* Record accidents promptly and accurately.
* To undertake other duties as may reasonably be required commensurate with the grade, skills, knowledge and experience of the post.
* Willing to take appropriate training.
* Support volunteer groups in the Town Park.
Experience and Qualifications:
* Basic literacy & numeracy skills.
* Have commercial gardening experience.
* Have an awareness and understanding of COSHH.
* Basic knowledge and understanding of health & safety.
* Have an awareness and understanding of COSHH.
* Have an awareness and understanding of Equality and Diversity.
* Plant identification, planting and pruning techniques.
* Able to use powered hand tools and horticultural machine
* Knowledge of horticultural operations.
* Good written and verbal communications skills.
* Use own initiative.
* Willingness to work as part of a team.
* Hold a current valid driving license.
* Neat and tidy appearance.
* Able to work out in all weathers.
* Be conscientious
* Hold a Lantra Ride-on-Mower qualification.
* Use a ride-on mower.
* PA1 & PA6 herbicides.